Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Don't want to buy it...Make it!!!

So when I went to Hobby Lobby, one of the things I KNEW I wanted for fall was a really pretty fall wreath to hang on our front door to go along with our pumpkins that I would get. Once I got to Hobby Lobby, I perused their choices of wreaths, and all of them were YUCKY! Not to mention that even after the 50% off Fall discount, they were still about $35! More than I wanted to spend, especially if I had to get one that I was not 100% happy with. SO..... I decided to make one myself! I'm sure you're thinking that this sunds like one of those projects that while it sounds great...it will never get done! And trust me I have plenty of those! However, I am quite proud to say that this is not one of those projects! It is now complete and hanging on my front door, and in total it cost me a whole $15 from start to finish, much better than $35!! Here's a step by step of it's progress and simple instructions on what I did:

Silly me, I completely forget to take a before picture of my bare wreath and all it's fixin's, so I pulled this one from the net, this is what I started with, just a plain ol' grapevine wreath. Cost: $3



First a wrapped a strand of leaves around the wreath just once, cutting off the excess to fill in empty spaces in the leaves. I tied it on with green floral wire to secure it the leaves to the wreath.

I now started to add the garnishments to the wreath, one was a very similarly colored sprig of flowers and leaves with berries, that you can see on the left side of wreath, along with the pumpkin. These were also attached with floral wire.

And another pumpkin... Moe Moe was doing her best to help me!
IDK takes after her daddy and she wasn't as interested...
I then added 3 sprays of plastic bead that were on metal wires to the wreath, they are hard to see in this photo because they are the same colors as the leaves. I then used online instructions from this website to make the bow as the finishing touch!
And here it is in all it's glory hanging on our front door!

1 comment:

Family of Five said...

This is awesome Lala! If you made me a fall one and a Christmas one, I'd buy them from you! :)