Tuesday, May 4, 2010

1st Prenatal Appointment

Today was our first prenatal appointment!!! I'm officially 8 weeks and 1 day today! Our appointment was at 2:30 this afternoon, I was supposed to meet with my OB who I've never met because I am having to get a new Dr. But about 30 minutes before my appointment they called and said that she was having to go to perform an emergency surgery and wouldn't be able to meet with me, that I could either see the Nurse Practioner or I could reschedule. Since Kolby had already changed his work schedule so he could come to the appointment, we opted to keep our appointment and see the Nurse Practioner.

We were brought back pretty quickly for our ultrasound. That was of course the most exciting part of the whole appointment!!! We got to see our little baby on the u/s screen...and there it was in all it's glory! It looked like a little bean! We could see the heart beating on the screen, it looked like a little flickering pen dot, SOOO small! We got to listen to the heart beat for all of about 2 seconds...the lasy seemed to be rushing us by that point which I didn't really appreciate, but we got to listen to it all the same. You should have seen the smile on Kolby's face when the baby came on the screen, he is so excited about the baby!

The baby measured exactly 8 weeks, so only 1 day behind what we were thinking which they said was great! The heart beat was 172 beats per minute (bpm) which they said was really fast and strong! So overall we got a great ultrasound report, which we were thrilled with!!!

We were then sent back to the waiting room to wait for our regular prenatal appointment. We sat out there for what seemed like forever...but finally they called us back! they took my weight and blood pressure, as well as me giving a urine sample.

Basically, my first prenatal appointment consisted of an annual gynocology exams and Q&A sessions. She asked us some questions and we were able to ask ours. We did find out that since I am on the blood thinner that we will have a scheduled delivery because they will have me be off of the blood thinner for at least 24 hrs prior to delivery. So I will either have a scheduled C-section or an induction, I guess we'll find that out down the road.

So overall we got two big thumbs up from our first prenatal appointment!!!!!! So YAY, we are so excited to keep on this journey and hope that things keep going like they have been!!!

No comments: